Re: Geosynchronous Satellites

on 12/24/00 6:39 AM, sco@sco-inc.com at sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> is it possible to program are sats to send a voice beacon on the 2m links
> [when they are over Mexico] saying ..." Explore the world of Amateur
> Radio"? Maybe if we make those freqs unusable for them they will go away.
>
> It would not be intentional interference because we would be sending a
> legal message over an illegal operator.

Well, first of all, that 2m frequency is the satellite UPLINK not the
downlink.  So you'd have to build in yet another transmitter into the bird
that would transmit on the uplink.  Then you'd have to shut the receiver off
and then transmit which would make the bird unusable during the time of its
beacon.  The cabbies don't listen on UHF like we do.

Feasible but not practical.

73,

Jon
NA9D