Re: Another view

on 12/24/00 12:10 AM, Phil Karn at karn@ka9q.net wrote:

>> LEOs lose because you have very limited access times and very limited range.
>
> When my wife and I were in Greece a few months ago, we made several
> phone calls through my Globalstar phone. Access time wasn't limited at
> all, and our calls reached all the way to the US. Globalstar certainly
> qualifies as a LEO system.

Phil,

Must you be a contrarian all the time?  Globalstar, Irridium, etc. worked
because they have a whole constellation of birds up there.  Irridium has
what 66 or something like that?  OK, so how many satellites can we hams put
up?  Do you think we have the resources to put up 50 Leos?  NOT!

While your point is well made, it doesn't fit the scope of amateur
satellites. This is a silly argument, Phil.

Jon

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA