Re: Another view

on 12/24/00 2:07 AM, Phil Karn at karn@ka9q.net wrote:

> Of course. Is landline relay something that can't also be done with
> amateur LEOs? Or is that too offensive to the purists? How about
> ground stations that relay between different LEO satellites in view at
> the same time?

Yes it is offensive.  If we do that, then why use radio at all?  Let's just
all get on the internet and join a chat room instead.  Then we don't have to
worry about QRM, antenna restrictions, etc.  And best of all, we are using
DIGITAL voice!  It's all a win for you Phil.  And Qualcomm chips are
probably used somewhere!

I am a big fan of the internet for some things (such as passing APRS
traffic, etc.).  But when it comes to the magic is sitting down and talking
to people, I want to keep landlines to a minimum (sure they are used even
terrestrially to link repeater receive sites).

Jon

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA