Re: New AO-27?

 sco@sco-inc.com writes:

> perhaps geo-stationary is not what I really want. But could the orbit be a
> "little" higher so the usable time was upped to say 30 minutes or 45
> minutes at a time instead of the very short passes now on AO-27? Could a HT
> [5 watts] still do the job?

One of the big problems up there is the radiation environment. Its less of
a problem down at the heights of the current LEO's but it gets really hot
when you go upwards for the next 20000km or so then tails off. Thats why
you don't see many flights to those heights. The radiation either kills the
electronics or costs you enormous (uneconomic) amounts for screening.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188