Rocket Ride

I think everyone agrees that we will not be able to get or afford another
ride on a A5 launcher in the future. I think we got the ride for AO-40
because of the bad press they were getting about their desire to cancell
our contract.

So as I understand it now the cheap rides are on Russian rockets, Pegasus
or on the Shuttles.

What can we design to weigh no more than 150kg that would fit on a Pegasus?

On the Shuttle we can not ship a bird that has explosive fuels ... right?
Then how about a two part sat ...kind of like the moon landers. They landed
in one piece but then the smaller part launched from the moon's surface to
come back to earth. How about building a motor half that could ride on the
shuttle and still give us the power we need to reach our GTO and finally
our "easysat" altitude? Once we are on our way [from the shuttle] we could
jetison the motor [and fuel ... batteries for an electric motor?] section.
I bet the shuttles always have some empty space available. And they go up
almost once a month too [more opportunities for a ride].

How about a sat with 1.2g up with a 2.4g downlink? The Ft-736R and the new
TS-2000 radios both have 1.2g tx capabilities. Add a converter for 2.4g and
you are ready to go. Antenna size would also be easier for most hams to handle.

W4SCO