Re: New AO-27?

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 07:21:49AM -0500, sco@sco-inc.com wrote:
> >You can't have an AO-27-like satellite in geostationary orbit -- as soon
> >as you put it that high up, it's no longer like AO-27. You wouldn't be
> >working it with your handheld, nor (I guess) your Arrow handheld beam.
>
> perhaps geo-stationary is not what I really want. But could the orbit be a
> "little" higher so the usable time was upped to say 30 minutes or 45
> minutes at a time instead of the very short passes now on AO-27? Could a HT
> [5 watts] still do the job?

I'm not sure. I don't think so.

> why not use a 2m uplink and 70cm downlink?

It's still a problem. Instead of conflicting satellite downlinks,
you have ground users preventing other ground users from hearing
the downlinks. AO-10 is quite weak and no doubt FM uplinks in the
same vicinity on 2m would not be appreciated. It really doesn't
fit in 2m. You could use 23cm up though.

> if the concept worked why not build more than one?  One over Europe and one
> over NA...

In case you haven't noticed, I don't live in either of those places.

Merry Christmas

Hamish