Re: question for the experts

Douglas and Richard,

The IHU-2 is an experimental computer, which was very helpfull to download
the separation images and use the camera as an additional tool for
navigation. Otherwise the IHU-2 has no other function and no access to
the spacecraft bus.  It shared however the Middle Beacon with the IHU-1
and since there is only a MB (due to the smaller bandwidth on 2m) on the
V-TX, a repeater program was needed to get IHU-1 telemetry.
We could also simply have turned the IHU-2 off and than the MB will
automatically carry the IHU-1 telemetry using a hardware switching logic.

The IHU-1 is made of radhard components, in particular the 1802 Cosmac CPU
from Harris/Sandia and also the EDAC Memory is made of radhard RAMs. I suggest
reading articles about the IHU-1 design, which was published elsewhere.

Indeed, it can not be excluded that a part got hit by a particle and produced
an SEU, causing the IHU to crash.  We will see when the Reset/Reload procedure
for the IHU-1 get's started, which will happen probably already today..

73s Peter