From: Ramon Santoyo V.  <xe1kk@x...>
Date: Wed Dec 20, 2000 2:17am
Subject: AO10B QSO with FT-817

Hola from Mexico.

I just made 4 QSOs with AO10B satellite using a the new Yaesu FT-817, 5
watts pep running with AA rechargable batteries, and an arrow antenna on my
hand.

Kind of difficult to find where your downlink is, since the uplink is on a
memory, but not impossible.

I was using a heil set and using vox, because otherwise you have to do so
many thinks its difficult to coordinate. Also using a digital tape
recorder to remember the callsings.

I had to look for the best polarity of the satellite since the QSB was
heavy. I recived all kind of reports: from difficult to copy to "booming"
signal. I copy all the stations without problem. Thanks to WB4FWQ, K6YK,
WA6ILT and W7UVI

73 de Ramon, XE1KK/QRP/p

************************

It's hard work because you can't hear your own downlink, not to mention that
5W into an Arrow is rather marginal. I use an FT-100 with the FT-817 and
Arrow for a bit more oomph for portable work. The receiver in the FT-817 is
awesome at V/UHF IMHO. It's almost worth it just for the RX.

There are some notes in the FT-817 manual about how to use it on the FM
sats, as you can store split band freq's into memories on the FT-817 making
life a bit easier. It also has frequency resolution down to 100Hz on FM,
whilst most FM rigs go down to about 5kHz.

But it ain't full duplex. Buy two!

Regards, Howard