Re: As long as we're talking about software failuresand spacecraft...

on 12/23/00 11:00 PM, Margaret Leber (KB3DXS) at maggie@voicenet.com wrote:

> Remeber Ariane 501? The one P3D *might* have been on?
>
> Remeber why it died? No?
>
> Jim Gosling, Father of Java (and emacs, too) keeps the history at his website,
> under the heading "Why being careful about software design is important..."

Interesting story!  Wow!

That's the problem with software!  A major electronics company I used to
work for has lost major market share for some of its products because while
the hardware worked, the software was always late and always had problems.
Its stock has been somewhat depressed for several years as a result of some
of these problems.

OK, back to satellites:

What IF we would have had P3D on that vehicle and lost it?  Since the
problem was with the ESA launch vehicle, would they have covered the cost of
the payloads?  Is ESA liable in case of failure of the launch vehicle?

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden