Re: New AO-27?

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 09:47:23PM -0500, sco@sco-inc.com wrote:
> If Amsat-NA wanted to build a bird [FM or SSB/CW or Digital] and put it
> into a geo-stationary orbit over the USA and had the money and expertise to
> do so, tell me why it can NOT be done.

You can't have an AO-27-like satellite in geostationary orbit -- as soon
as you put it that high up, it's no longer like AO-27. You wouldn't be
working it with your handheld, nor (I guess) your Arrow handheld beam.

Then you have to find bandwidth for it (2m downlink is already congested,
as we're seeing with the clash of AO-40 2m beacon, AO-10 downlink
and RS-12/13 downlink). Especially a few channels of FM, which will
use a lot of bandwidth.

And don't expect any non-US stations to be interested, or to
contribute any money. You wouldn't be advancing the art much
with this project. FM is just a poor idea for satellites.

Hamish