Re: question for the experts

Interesting theory that perhaps a solar or geomagnetic disturbance could be
involved in AO40 problems beginning Dec 13. To learn how such disturbances
can cause problems with spacecraft, read this fascinating paper at:
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/info/Satellites.html

Solar particle and electron flux data for Dec 13, measured by the GOES10
satellite is shown here:
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/getftp.cgi?get=lists/particle/20001213_G10part_5m.tx
Graphic formats:
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/getftp.cgi?get=plots/electron/20001213_electron.gif
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/getftp.cgi?get=plots/goeshp/20001213_goeshp.gif
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/getftp.cgi?get=plots/proton/20001213_proton.gif

Solar particle and electron flux data for Dec 13, measured by the GOES8
satellite is shown here:
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/getftp.cgi?get=lists/particle/20001213_G8part_5m.txt

I have no special expertise in interpreting these data sets; however, no
particularly large measurements seem to stand out.

A solar and geophysical summary report, for Dec 13 is shown here:
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/getftp.cgi?get=forecasts/SGAS/1213SGAS.txt
The K-index was 1 or 2 throughout the day. Interesting quote: "The
greater-than-2 MeV electron flux at geosynchronous orbit was elevated at
moderate levels (above 1000 pfu) during local daytime hours."

Main index page for Satellite operators: http://www.sel.noaa.gov/SatOps/

Ed Mitchell, KF7VY
http://hamradio-online.com