very limited since I don't have access to the source code for
AO-40.  Nor am I any more than a novice with the IPS
language.)  Here is what I found:

All of this occurred Wed, Dec 13, 2000

11:16:51 UTC I received a telemetry 0 block containing
"MANY_ARMS ... UNZUL. NAME !"
    MANY_ARMS is an IPS program (subroutine) that cycles power
for something.  UNZUL. NAME ! is an IPS error message meaning
DUPLICATE NAME !

11:17:18 UTC an A block of standard telemetry.
11:17:32 UTC an A block of standard telemetry

11:21:03 UTC a 0 block containing PP2 <DE><A2>p     ...  this
repeats many times.
11:21:15 UTC same as above
11:21:28 UTC same as above
11:21:40 UTC same as above
11:21:53 UTC same as above
11:22:06 UTC same as above
11:22:18 UTC same as above
11:22:31 UTC same as above   Note: this is the last block of
data from the satellite (that I received)

The numbers in < > brackets above are HEX numbers.  I have not
included all the contents of the telemetry blocks for
brevity.  You can get them from the AMSAT archives if you are
interested.

Did some bad code get uploaded?  As a programmer I have to
admit that I have seen some of my programs do similar things
when I goofed.  Especially on the old 8 bit machines with
primitive operating systems, I've seen the console start
scrolling more than once.  If that's what happened to AO-40
then I have great hope that a RESET will do the trick.

Good luck command team!  Thanks for all your hard work!

73's de Rich Burgan, WC8J