Re: Another view

Hello Rip!

22 Dec 00 21:59, you wrote to All:

 RS> But during this pause, it may be a good time for the whole satellite
 RS> community to think about what it wants to accomplish. There are so
 RS> many possibilities, with or without AO-40.

Good idea. :)

 RS> There are those who have the money and the expertise for the large
 RS> antenna arrays on VHF and UHF and up, but as Robert Oler said, it
 RS> definitely does "cut some people out". If we want to get new people
 RS> involved, we should not require the beginner to build up an AO-10
 RS> capable station.
 RS>
 RS> I think we should have a few of the RS-10/11 class satellites -
 RS> whether or not we cover AO-40.

Well, for me, AO-10 is in the same class as moonbounce for the forseeable
future.  Simply not feasible. :-(

 RS> Remember Mode-A?
 RS>
 RS> What fun it was working Mode-A CW on OSCAR and RS satellites, and I
 RS> learned a lot, too. I listened to AMSAT nets on 75 Meters and wrote
 RS> down the reference orbits as they were read over the air. Then I
 RS> calculated AOS/LOS with a hand calculator and "tracked" the pass with
 RS> the "OSCARLocator". A 10-meter dipole and a small 2-meter beam mounted
 RS> at a fixed 45 degrees elevation and I worked all over the US and even
 RS> a few DX stations.

RS-10 was a great bird, and Mode A works well, but LEOs here are rather
limiting, unless we can find a way of linking between distant LEOS to increase
the footprint size.  Here, VK is a rather large place, and we're surrounded by
island nations with limited VHF/UHF capabilities (Every tried to get YJ to come
up on SO-35?  There's no one there with 70cm gear that I know of).

So we end up with VK and ZL by ourselves (and occasionally, 3D2, though I'm not
yet lucky enough to catch them on).

The great Asian countries to the north are too far for a LEO to work (takes
more than half a LEO footprint to get to Darwin and past VK!), and on the lower
bands, uplinks suffer from Asian QRM that makes any attempt working north from
VK difficult.

 RS> Other things are possible, too, but keep at least some of it on a
 RS> level that provides a reasonable chance of success without maxing out
 RS> the credit cards. (Yes, I know you can build stuff a lot cheaper -
 RS> assuming you have
 RS> the knowledge, manual dexterity, and eyesight to do it - which I do
 RS> not.)

Well, I feel we need a range of options.  I'm not afraid to wield the soldering
iron, and can manage a moderate outlay (though typically not to the extent many
US hams can manage, due to our exchange rate).

 RS> With today's technology a Mode-A bird could be be more sensitive and
 RS> more powerful and worked with a mobile/portable setup so those of us
 RS> who are stuck with the antenna restrictions have a shot too.

Might be fun trying to get over the Asian QRM here. :-)  2m is really a cruddy
uplink these days for LEOs. :(

Tony, VK3JED