Re: Amateur radio module on commercial Geo Sat?

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 06:37:30PM -0000, Laura Jolley wrote:
> I have lived and worked the ham sats in college dorms, military housing and
> apartments; all places not conducive to Very Large Arrays.  And in that
> pursuit I found out that the limitation on how big an antenna you put up is
> not "did it fall down last winter" but "did it get caught".  I am not a
> rabid DXer but I do like to hunt the weak signals and to pull (and push)
> what I can into the air.

Then you should enjoy operating with small antennas even more -- the
signals (in both directions) are even weaker. You make up for it by
using more intelligent coding and modulation methods. You could
actually end up with a _better_ link (faster bit rate, lower bit error
rate, or whatever) than you have now, despite the smaller antenna.

Hamish