Mobile Packet Satellites

For your holiday travels:
This is probably a better chart to show satellite access times for
satellites you can work from your mobile or Handheld packet station.
Most are 9600 baud, but SUNSAT does have a 1200 baud uplink.  As you
can see, you are rarely more than say 45 minutes away from being
able to communicate digitally from your HT or mobile from anywhere
on the planet...   The only question, is anyone listening?  Times are
local sun time for the center of your timezone.

                       MORNING                  EVENING
SAT  UPLINK  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 DWNLINK
     9600 bd 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 9600 bd
---- ------- ----------------------------------------------- -------
OO38 437.100 ***              *******                    *** 437.100
UO22 145.900             *******              ********       435.120
SO35 145.825      *******                  *******           436.250
     145.900 (1200 bd)

*** In the windows indicated you will get about two 5 min passes a
    day when the satellite will be above about 20 degrees and solid
    to a mobile or HT.  Any low passes before or after are probably
    too low to be worked mobile.

Although I have received packets on my HT INSIDE the car with the
rubber duck, that was a perfect overhead pass.  Normally you need
about a 3 element UHF handheld beam on your HT to decode the bird
lower on the horizon.  The 2 meter Uplink on an OMNI whip is usually
quite fine.

Even if you dont see yourself on the downlink, you can at least see
yourself on FINDU.COM if you go via SO35.  We need some other full
time ground stations to feed packets from the other birds.

For mor info on this mode of operating, see:

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

NOTE:  OPAL appears to have reset itself since I have not heard it in the
last two days...  If you hear it, lemme know.

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

See my APRS LIVE pages    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See APRS SATELLITES       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html
See MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html