RE: TDMA - Reading the mail

> > Kinda like APRS...
>
> Well, some of us don't have a TNC to play with.... and I've had a play
> with it at home.  I haven't had a play with a tracker yet, because:
> 1.  I don't have a GPS...
> 2.  I don't run mobile very often (being a public transport commuter)...
> 3.  Portable options are either expensive (Kenwood D7 HT) or ungainly.
> 4   APRS would mean dedicating a rig to that purpose

All very good points.  But there are even ways of using APRS to advantage
in the above situations.  I am not suggesting them for you, but thought
others might be interested in these alternatives to the above... Again,
not pushing here, just offering some alternatives...

1)  No one needs a GPS unless they are moving or lost.  You can enter
    a position from a Map, or a pocket scribbled listing of your haunts
2)  Being on public transport migt be an ideal place to use APRS messaging
    or reporting of your status via digital means (if you cant raise
    anyone on a voice rpeater (the message being digital can go world
    wide, instead of only to your local voice net).
3)  The MIM or Mic-E with internal 9v battery is about the size of a
    pack of cigaretts.  It plugs into the Mic jack of your HT and you
    use it as a handheld mic.  You can plug in a GPS, for position
    reporting, or use the 7 position "STATUS" switch to report from
    7 pre-programmed messages (enroute, returning, special, Emergency etc)
4)  Using the MIM/Mic-Lite (a TNC with front panel message switches) as a
    mic lets you use one rig and it fits in a shirt pocket.
5)  Depending on how far you travel, APRS supports "vicinity" tracking.
    Thus, APRS will plot you on the MAP in the vicinity of the first
    digipeater that your packets hit.  If there are several DIGIS along
    your route, then someone on APRS can tell approximately if you are
    near home, or work, or in th emiddle, depending on where the digis
    are...  If you travel across country, this lets loved ones see what
    city you are in... all without a GPS

I have been into APRS since 1991, and even though several dozen GPS units
have passed through my hands and my car, and even though I have APRS
permanently in the car, I still do not have a permanent GPS in the car.
(Many stories and excuses, but wont bore you with them now, hi hi)
When I need one for a trip, I use a handheld one with internal batteries.
Most of the time, I just enter my position half way to work with an
ambiguity circle that includes both ends of my commute so that people can
see where on the planet I am, and thus know how to communicate with me.

Again, not trying to suggest that APRS is an answer to this situation, but
many people may overlook the advantages of worldwide digital
communications from your pocket, even if they never use the GPS...

Bob