Re: AO40??

Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AO40??
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:51:35 +0100
From: Udo Schneider <uschndr@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To: Dave Guimont <dguimon1@san.rr.com>

Hello Dave,

you wrote:

> In San Diego I am hearing a carrier consistent with set #8 headings
for AO40
> and NOT AO10.  The signal is at 145.897 at 1602z with an increase to
145.898
> at 1629z.  I determine the frequency as indicated by my carrier lite
on
> a 400 baud modem, but NO block lite...

At that time (about 16:15 UTC) at San Diego -
using the last NORAD keps #16 (nearly the same
as Ken's last sets) - AO-40 had the following parameters:

AZ       =   113 deg
EL       =    31 deg
range    = 56200 km
velocity =  -1.2 km/s
delta f  =   2.2 Hz/min at 145.9 MHz
                        (it means the frequency
                         increases by 2.2 Hz per
                         minute).

So for 16:02 ... 16:29 UTC you should have a shift of 60 Hz.
What you observed was a thermal effect somewhere in the hardware
or a "stable" carrier from outside 8-)

73, Udo, DL7OL ***