Re: Amateur radio module on commercial Geo Sat?

>However, in the TVRO industry, the opposite was the case.  Digital, more
>complex satellites and simpler ground stations have increased sales (users)
>by a large margin.  In my opinion, the difference with an AMSAT related

You make a good point. Perhaps I overstated the tension between
amateur satellite cost and ground station cost, because there are
techniques that can significantly reduce the cost of both. Foremost
among them are a) efficient digital modulation and b) use of the
microwave bands. Each increases the link margins substantially over
the use of analog modulation on the VHF/UHF bands, and the benefits
can be split between the satellite and the earth terminal.

Of course, new ground terminals have to be designed and built to
implement these new techniques, and some might find that to be less
glamorous than designing and building a big and complex
spacecraft. But it's the right way to go from a systems standpoint.

Phil