Re: transverter if radio mods

Drew,
Here is the mod for frequency expansion.  I think I got this off the qrz site
about 5 years ago.  It is a 10 minute job, giving you 26-29.999 MHz
capability. I have done this mod for the same reason (interfaced the rig to a
Ten-Tec 1210 transverter and needed 29.800-29.999 -> 145.800-145.999 uplink).
 Be aware this mod makes the last digit in the LED display a little flaky and
you cannot tune easily with the lowest VFO increment setting (I just used the
RIT knob most of the time anyway since it is smoother than the "steps" on the
VFO).  The mod is easily revesable if you want to change it back before
selling the rig.

--------------------
Remove bottom cover. With the radio upside down and display facing you remove
the synthesizer board with the four screws, this is near the front of the
radio.

This gives access to the small board underneath with the surface mount
components on it. Locate the processor chip IC401 (UC-1208).Locate pins 28
and
29 which are on the right hand side of the chip and are 4th and 5th from the
top. Note they are bridged with solder.

CAREFULLY cut the copper track NEXT to the pins. DO NOT attempt to unsolder
the two pins form the board. Use a GROUNDED soldering iron. Locate the two
rows
of connector pins above the chip.

On the bottom row locate the last pin on the right. Verify with a VOM that
this pin has + five volts. Solder a 10k (1/4 w) resistor between this pin and
pins
28 and 29 on IC401.The synthesizer will now tune from 26.00 Mhz to 30 Mhz.
73,
Jerry, K5OE

In a message dated Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:54:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Drew