Re: TDMA - Reading the mail

At 08:38 PM 12/20/2000 -0600, Jon Ogden wrote:
>One question about a TDMA or CDMA type satellite signal:  How would one go
>about "reading the mail"  or joining in a round table QSO?  The beauty of
>analog is we all share the same spectrum/time space.  That is also the worst
>part about it as well.

First, let me say that I believe it is extremely important that a system
such as Phil has been describing should be able to do what you describe
above.

With today's Frequency-Division-Multiplexed signals, you grab that big
round knob on your transciever and turn it to tune in the desired
conversation.  That obviously won't perform the same function in a system
that depends on a digital multiplexing scheme (be it CDMA or TDMA or
AMSATDMA or whatever).  Therefore, the big round knob simply needs to be
replaced by something that accomplishes the same thing.  In particular, we
need two things.  First, the protocols (rules) that make the system work
have to be designed to allow you to listen to and join ongoing
conversations, and second we must design user-interface features into the
user terminal software to let you perform these functions.

Because said protocols and software haven't been designed yet, I'll have to
be a little fuzzy, but also because they haven't been designed yet I'm free
to describe some wild blue sky ideas about how such a user interface might
appear.  I'm not sure these are the right ideas yet.  They are just my
first ideas about how it might appear to the user.  I don't mind sharing
half-baked ideas as long as you understand these aren't product
specifications or promises.

Lets consider voice conversations.  Suppose on your computer screen there
appeared a list of ongoing conversations.  The list might show you the
callsigns of the people involved.  Suppose you could click on one of these
conversations and instantly the sound of voices would come out the speakers
(or headphones).  You could click on a different conversation and the sound
would instantly change to the sound of the voices in that conversation.

Clicking on a conversation in a list has replaced turning a big round knob.

Of course we could give you a big round knob if we wanted to.

Imagine ... The system might also know the location of the stations
involved in the conversation.  (Perhaps that's transmitted as part of the
protocol.)  One could have software where dots lit up on a map showing you
the locations of the guys involved in the conversation as you clicked on
them.  (Gee, your SSB radio can't do that.)

Keep in mind, this is just one idea for how it might work.  All the
information would be there in your computer, so we could use all the power
of modern software to interface with the human in a useful and pleasing manner.

You want pictures of the people talking instead of their callsigns?  Hey,
it's just software.

Its fun to think about what one might do in such software.  With open
protocol specs, various folks could create their own versions of such
software and try to out-do the prior team.  (Much like what happened with
satellite tracking programs a decade ago.)

Automated logging?  Hey, why type callsigns into logging software?  Your
computer would already know who you are talking with.