Re: Kapton Tape

>Hello,
>
>Quick question.  Can anyone tell me why kapton tape
>and film is used on spacecraft?  I was looking at
>the P3D photos and even the wire bundles are wrapped
>with this tape.
>
>Thanks,
>Greg,  KF4BWQ

Kapton (tm) is a fantastically heat-resistant polymer that is used in
almost endless aerospace applications.  (The gold wrapping on the
Apollo LM descent stage was a Kapton/Mylar/aluminum sandwich.)  It
will withstand temperatures up to 7000 F with almost no damage and
makes excellent wire insulation anywhere wiring might be exposed to
intense heat.  Teflon, by comparison, is only good to about 700 F at
which point it starts to cold-flow really bad, and pure PTFE Teflon
is rather porous as well .. learned that the hard way when I tried to
make a packed column for a gas chromatograph out of PTFE tubing --
ended up using FEP which fortunately was compatible with the samples
we were running ..

73 de N5VB