Re: Amateur radio module on commercial Geo Sat?

>So, basically a case of using GPS to measure positional differences and time
>delays?  These days, quite feasible, given the lowish cost of surplus GPS
>engines that can be obtained from time to time.

Right. It was tempting to make a GPS receiver an integral part of such
a station, perhaps as a timing reference for the TDMA uplink
transmissions. My main reservation was the potential for interference
from a co-located L-band uplink, as many commercial GPS receivers have
poor front-end selectivity. A cavity filter on the GPS front end fixes
the problem, but that's extra cost. Hence it would be best to rely on
the GPS only working often enough to give you user position and time
accurate enough to compute slant range within a few tens of km.

Phil