Re: Troubleshooting the bird

on 12/19/00 5:47 PM, sco@sco-inc.com at sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> I would think that a good system would try to re-establish contact with
> ground control if after X days no contact had been received. In other
> words, why have a system that just waits for input? Why not have the system
> attempt to transmit coded requests to ground control to re-establish
> control and act in a proactive manner? The beacon would be saying ... "Here
> I am, I have not heard from you, where are you? ... PLEASE CALL" That way
> ground stations would know that the sat had lost contact with the ground
> and start reset actions.

DOH!  That's what the COMMAND-ASSIST system does!  Why don't you read a
little bit instead of just making comments.  You're worse than myself on
that one!  And that says a lot!

Sheesh!

If it doesn't hear anything after a certain time (I think 10 orbits is the
number), then the satellite goes into the COMMAND-ASSIST mode where it
cycles through various combinations of antennas and transmitters trying to
re-establish ground contact.

PLEASE: Read the bulletins and this sort of discussion doesn't have to even
exist!

ARGH!

NA9D

Jon Ogden