Re: Troubleshooting the bird

At 04:58 PM 12/19/2000 , you wrote:
>The statements about the "command asssist" mode make it quite clear that this
>cycles through various combinations of antennas, transmitters and receivers.
>That's why the command team tried sending "blind" commands.  Since they
>don't know
>if the spacecraft heard one without responding it's necessary to wait
>another ten
>orbit period to see if the software reset will work and then see if a blind
>command will be recognized.

I would think that a good system would try to re-establish contact with
ground control if after X days no contact had been received. In other
words, why have a system that just waits for input? Why not have the system
attempt to transmit coded requests to ground control to re-establish
control and act in a proactive manner? The beacon would be saying ... "Here
I am, I have not heard from you, where are you? ... PLEASE CALL" That way
ground stations would know that the sat had lost contact with the ground
and start reset actions.

W4SCO