Re: Troubleshooting the bird

>From: Jon Ogden <na9d@mindspring.com>
>To: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@ptialaska.net>, <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Troubleshooting the bird
>Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:18:40 -0600
>
>on 12/19/00 10:48 AM, Edward R. Cole at al7eb@ptialaska.net wrote:
>

> > BTW there are 9 receivers on-board.  Which one is currently switched-on?
> > You need to know that before any successful command transmissions are
>made.
>
>According to information sent to me by a very high level person on the
>design team, the L band receiver is always on and cannot be turned off.  At
>the same time if  the 70cm TX is on the 2m RX is on and if  the 2m TX is on
>the 70cm RX is on.  So in any configuration, we have at least 1 receiver on
>at all time if no transmitter is on and if one of the main transmitters is
>on, we have 2 RXs.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>NA9D

If your "inside" knowledge is accurate (and it stands to reason.) then I
guess I dont understand why the wait on the "hard reset".  The bird is
obviously not recieveing and acting on commands being sent to it and the
best that can be hoped for is that after the last command was sent the timer
times out and the thing self starts itself.

If it is recieving commands but not acting on them (and that seems to be the
case) then that points to a serious computer problem.  So one would wonder
why one would expect a serious computer problem to reset itself.

Robert WB5MZO