Re: Amateur radio module on commercial Geo Sat?

on 12/19/00 7:57 AM, Dale Coleman at kf4sir@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hi all, I have been curious about the possibility of installing a amateur
> radio module on a commercial satellite that would be launched into a
> geosynchronous orbit.

The philosophy has been not to do this because then only the part of the
world covered by that geosynchronous satellite would ever be able to use it.
Part of the way funding was done for AO-40 was that it got worldwide
participation because it will be accessible around the world.  If we have a
geo-synch bird that sits up there and covers just the the western hemisphere
or just the US, Europe, S. America and part of Africa, we alienate those not
covered.

The only way to do it would be to have a series of geo-synch birds all
linked together to give world coverage.  That would be cool!

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden