Re: What to do IF we regain control of AO-40

on 12/19/00 6:38 AM, sco@sco-inc.com at sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> NO, your logic is flawed. If the ground controllers had to make 10 attempts
> to open the valve when one (1) attempt would be the "norm" ... then the
> failure rate is 9/10 or 90 percent. If it had opened properly on the 1st
> attempt they would not have needed to make 9 more attempts to open it.

No, that's incorrect!

I doubt that they would have cycled it just once.  That is what John was
saying.  It stuck once, we do know that.  But how many times did they issue
the command until it became unstuck?  And once that happened, how many times
did they continue to issue the command to make sure it didn't stick again?
We don't know - only the control team does.  But if something sticks on me,
I usually get it unstuck and then perform the action many times.  John was
just using examples to show what might be happening.  You could be right -
the failure rate could have been 90%.  But then again, John could be right
too.

73,

Jon
NA9D