Re: RS-12/13 Testimonial

on 12/18/00 11:57 PM, Edward R. Cole at al7eb@ptialaska.net wrote:

> Of course mode-A [145/up, 29/down] is usable by techs, but RS-13 isn't in
> mode-A right now.  Considering the fact that 15m currently is quite often
> open to skip, I have wondered why this bird is in this mode right now?  It
> is subject to a lot of unintentional uplinking of non-satellite QSO's.
> This is doubly problem some since it is downlinking into AO-10 and AO-40 2m
> pass bands during overlapping foot prints.
>
> I would think mode-A would be preferable during this high solar activity
> period, but I can only suppose mode-K operators are extending the footprint
> thru 15m propagation.  But this is a question for the RS controllers,
> though.  Do they subscribe to this list?

All very good points and yes during contests and times of skip, it certainly
does get clogged.  But the 15m uplink has been on for at least the last
year.  That's why you see all the articles about over the horizon work on
RS-15.  Prior to being in the current mode the 15 and 2 m uplinks were
working and the 10m downlink.  Now it's 10/2.

No, the controllers don't subscribe AFAIK.  They seem to be a mystery....

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden