Re: Re:"hard reset"

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 08:13:16PM -0000, John Stephensen, KD6OZH wrote:
> The AO-40 IHU most likely works like others that I have seen. A "hard reset"
> will reset the CPU and all peripherals and reboot the system. The AO-40 IHU
> has error-correcting memory so one of the first things that must be done
> after reset is to write zeros into memory. This is because the memory will
> start up full of random bits and half of the bit combinations are guaranteed
> to activate the error correction hardware and interrupt the CPU

IMO, the memory would only return to random bits if the devices
were actually powered down and up again. At least in the case of
static RAM, anyway (which in my experience does not typically
have a reset signal). I suppose this could occur if the controller
for dynamic memory missed a few refresh cycles during a reset though.
Does AO40's IHU-1 use DRAM?

Hamish