Re: RS-12/13 Testimonial

>From: "Christopher Cox" <cobox@urec.net>
>> High elevation pass (greater than 35 degrees at TCA):
>>  -  your uplink at 21.280 MHz
>>  -  downlink AOS at 145.888 MHz
>>  -  downlink TCA at 145.883 MHz
>>  -  downlink LOS at 145.878 MHz
>>
>> Low elevation pass (less than 30 degrees at TCA):
>>  -  your uplink at 21.280 MHz
>>  -  downlink AOS at 145.886 MHz
>>  -  downlink TCA at 145.883 MHz
>>  -  downlink LOS at 145.880 MHz
>
>Making it truly a Old Advanced or New Extra only bird.
>Bummer ...:-(
>Christopher Cox
>Old Tech Plus

Christopher,

First time I realized that mode-k is only legally accessible by Adv/Extra
US operators!

Of course mode-A [145/up, 29/down] is usable by techs, but RS-13 isn't in
mode-A right now.  Considering the fact that 15m currently is quite often
open to skip, I have wondered why this bird is in this mode right now?  It
is subject to a lot of unintentional uplinking of non-satellite QSO's.
This is doubly problem some since it is downlinking into AO-10 and AO-40 2m
pass bands during overlapping foot prints.

I would think mode-A would be preferable during this high solar activity
period, but I can only suppose mode-K operators are extending the footprint
thru 15m propagation.  But this is a question for the RS controllers,
though.  Do they subscribe to this list?

Not a big problem personally as I'm a "new" Extra, and do not operate the
Leo's much {yet}.  AO-10 was my favorite...and have awaited P3D for years
to replace it.  Fingers crossed!

Ed
K8MWA: Novice 1958-1959, Tech 1959-1982, AL7EB: Gen/Adv 1982-2000.