Re: What to do IF we regain control of AO-40

on 12/18/00 11:01 PM, sco@sco-inc.com at sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> At 11:52 PM 12/18/2000 , you wrote:
>> I think you are jumping to conclusions my friend.
>>
>> 1.) Just because the valve stuck once doesn't mean it will do so again.
>
> But if it failed the first time in flight I would assume the odds are great
> that it is not dependable or predictable [no control ability] at best.

That is just NOT true.  You don't know that!  After all the valves worked
FINE in the tests in the integration lab and in Korou.  So it may or may not
stick again.

>> 2.) Final trajectory can be reached by a series of smaller, short burns (at
>> least that would make sense) that will help easy the bird into orbit.
>
> The last time we could not control the length of the burn ... now you say a
> series of short burns will be good. Why do you now assume that we can
> control the length of a burn in the future?

Let's look at it this way:  We went 3 minutes beyond what we should have
last time.  Say we need a total of 10 minutes of burns to get to the final
orbital inclination of 68 degrees.  Instead of 1 ten minute burn, you could
do it in 5 two minute burns.  That way, if one of the burns lasts for 4
minutes, you can correct for it.  You learn to get by with what you have.

> Just thinking of what some of the options may lead us to. Is there an
> electric motor to do small corrections with?

ARGH!  You post material on the bb without even knowing what is contained on
P3D!  Please, read up on the bird.  Yes, it has an electric arc jet that was
going to be used to increase the altitude to 70,000 km from 50,000 km.  It
will still probably be used.

73,

Jon
NA9D