Re: What to do IF we regain control of AO-40

I think you are jumping to conclusions my friend.

1.) Just because the valve stuck once doesn't mean it will do so again.
2.) Final trajectory can be reached by a series of smaller, short burns (at
least that would make sense) that will help easy the bird into orbit.
3.) We have not necessarily "lost" it because of the burn.  The two are
coincidental events and it has not been determined that they are causal.
4.) Once we get the bird back, telemetry from it will allow the ground crew
to determine both what happened (assuming we don't need to reset it) and
what is going on with the engine valves.
5.) If you wish to see what the footprint of the bird looks like, why don't
you put it into a tracking program and see!  Let's put it in an easy form:
The bird currently has an orbit of some 40,000 miles perigee or so.
Geosynchronous satellites have an orbit of about 23,000 miles.  So we easily
cover half the earth at a time.  However, I do not know if this current
orbit is stable or if we'd end up with an AO-13 effect.
6.) I don't think P3D has enough umph to escape Earth orbit.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 12/18/00 8:56 PM, sco@sco-inc.com at sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> From what I have been reading it seems that the motor has a control
> problem. If that problem is not a "self healing" problem [fuel valve] then
> we need to know what would be the final effect if we decided to use the
> motor again [to try achieving final planned orbit].
>
> If we regain control of AO-40 ... and
> If we can start the motor again ... it is highly unlikely that we could
> control the length of a second burn [because of the failure of the first
> burn]. If we could not stop a second burn and the motor ran until all fuel
> was gone, what would that do to AO-40?  What kind of an orbit might it end
> up in or would it be on its way out of our solar system?
>
> Do we instead just look at using it where it is now and not take a chance
> on losing it again?  What kind of a footprint would we have where it is
> now?  How long would it be visible, etc? These are questi

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na