Re: RS-12/13 Testimonial

Jerry,

Interesting your comments.  I have a FT-817 on order and it operates
simplex-split, too.  I have wondered how it would work.  My htought was to
CAT control tuning using something like InstaTune.  Since I have a FT-847
at home I can "calibrate" it, to be sure.  Hoping this will make a great
portable rig.  Of course not sure how 5w to a vertical on 2m would work?
For portable, thinking of an Arrow coupled with a random wire on 10m or a
HF mobile antenna.  Giving a lot of thought to how to outfit the rig for
traveling and working different modes ;-)

Ed
PS:  Eventially get that 10m potato masher up at home!

>From: K5OE@aol.com
>Yes, Bob, you have discovered one of the best kept secrets in amateur sats
today.  It is a phenominal signal--very clear and easy to copy all the way
to the horizon.  It is as loud and clear as SUNSAT, and that is saying a
lot.  Unfortunately, few people show up for the show.  Last night I was
lucky to get into a 5-way roundtable with KE4AZN, AC3A, KK5DO, and KD8UJ.

>For those wanting to work the bird, the Doppler is pretty manageable, even
with just a "split" rig.  I run a FT-100 without hearing my downlink.  The
passband is slightly off-center by a couple of kHz, but you could use these
as fair "guesstimates" for trying the bird...

>High elevation pass (greater than 35 degrees at TCA):
> -  your uplink at 21.280 MHz
> -  downlink AOS at 145.888 MHz
> -  downlink TCA at 145.883 MHz
> -  downlink LOS at 145.878 MHz
>
>Low elevation pass (less than 30 degrees at TCA):
> -  your uplink at 21.280 MHz
> -  downlink AOS at 145.886 MHz
> -  downlink TCA at 145.883 MHz
> -  downlink LOS at 145.880 MHz
>
>You can interpolate and add/subtract linearly from the above table to get
you in the ballpark from any uplink frequency.  I hope to hear more ops on
this fine LEO.