Re: An Open Letter To AMSAT

on 12/18/00 1:28 PM, Laura Jolley at jolleybuckaroo@hotmail.com wrote:

> 1.  Why do they want to wait a few days before doing a "hard reset"?  IE
> what does a hard reset do that might really change the picture of the
> satellite?

I can only speculate, but Stacey Mills did say it could actually make things
worse.  I am not sure how, but let's look at some possibilities:

* Lose all data about what happened and why
* Possible loss of all control of the satellite while the reset is taking
place.
* Have to possibly reload all the software for the entire bird.

I don't know what else and these are all guesses, but it seems the reason
they want to wait is that they feel there is NO rush.  They want to step
through all of the possible recovery procedures they have in place before
that one.

One thing I have noticed about spaceflight in listening a LOT to NASA
shuttle missions is that spaceflight is very slow and deliberate. Everything
is taken according to predetermined schedules and steps.  Things are skipped
or rushed.  Perhaps our team is following the same philosophy.

> 2.  What is the likelyhood that this hard reset will/will not be successful?
> Any plans if its not?

Who knows.  The control team is confident.  If the reset command is needed
and is not successful, then I would guess we pass the offering plate to
build the next bird.

73,

Jon
NA9D