Re: An Open Letter To AMSAT

>From: "Jeff Davis" <n9avg@indy.net>
>To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>, "Richard Lubash" <rlubash@poco.mv.com>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] An Open Letter To AMSAT
>Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:42:00 -0500
>
>There has been *no lack* of information. All of the pertinent details have
>been relayed in no less than three AMSAT bulletins, a Newsline report, two
>W1AW bulletins, and three emails from Peter Guelzow, DB2OS to this list. We
>have received *all* the information that they know right now. Anything else
>would be speculation--and there has been *no* lack of pure speculation
>(mixed with a large dose of finger pointing) on this board.
>
>Do you want to know what the ground controllers are having for lunch
>today?<<

No need to know that but well what would the following information hurt?

1.  Why do they want to wait a few days before doing a "hard reset"?  IE
what does a hard reset do that might really change the picture of the
satellite?

2.  What is the likelyhood that this hard reset will/will not be successful?
  Any plans if its not?

I can think of more and in each case what the explanations do is inform and
stop speculation and I imagine that if some thought was put into it those
questions could be answered with a paragraph or two.  (put it this way any
good technical writer/pr person could).

>That is all the information that there is ... oh yeah, Guelzow had an egg
>salad sandwich for lunch today. Feel better?
>
>73 de Jeff, N9AVG
>AMSAT #28350

In the end of course none of the information makes any difference to this
current bird.  IE either its going to fix itself or the controllers are
going to regain control over it or its space junk.  Nothing in the PR front
is going to help that.

Having said that I always find undying messages of support "we love you
Cowboys" a little somewhat homey actually and somewhat forced AND labeling
of anyone who asked any questions as a "dissenter" somewhat a little to
forced to.  (in the end they might retort that the other group is the
"blindly follow our leaders" group)  In the end they dont make any
difference anyway...but they sure set the tone for next time.

I am a test pilot trained by a major military service (grin) and
occassionally get called upon to help in the investigation of major (read
commercial) airline accidents.  IN that instant one probably knows
considerably less then the control stations do now...and one cant give
instant answers...but one can say exactly what is being done and when its
being done and sort of for why.

I think if more of that were being done here most of teh "dissenters" would
find little audience.

Robert Oler WB5MZO