Re: An Open Letter To AMSAT

Hi All,

In a sense I agree with Richard, about the lack of PR and how it might hurt
funding.  Was a general distribution press release sent out before or after
launch?  I went to many of the general and Space specific News sites and saw
little coverage.  AO-40 should have been big news at least at Space News
sites!

But to Richard, I would suggest if you have the expertise volunteer, or on
your own, generate some good releases and send them out.  Maybe, after
posting them here first for review.

73,
Chris Vancil
"When fate closes a door go in through a window."
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CLVANCIL/MarsBalloon.html";>
http://members.aol.com/CLVANCIL/MarsBalloon.html</A>

In a message dated 12/18/00 7:59:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, Richard Lubash
<rlubash@poco.mv.com> writes:

> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:16:16 -0500
>  From: Richard Lubash <rlubash@poco.mv.com>
>  Subject: [amsat-bb] An Open Letter To AMSAT
>
>  I am relatively new to satellites but not at all new to information
>  services. I presently own a company that among other things provides press
>  releases and news information strategy and have done this for 22 years. I
>  feel AMSAT is making a serious mistake by not putting some of their
>  resources in an ongoing information service related to AO-40. P3D is the
>  most ambitious and costly effort produced by AMSAT and as such represents
>  the flagship for future investments in armature satellite technology from
>  outside donations. To date there has been a considerable lack of
>  information both while the satellite was healthy and at present when it's
>  fate is unknown. I realize that the technical staff is composed of
>  volunteers that do not have time to develop and distribute long press
>  releases to the membership and the world in general but I also realize from
>  a fiscal standpoint the need for this information is vital. As an AMSAT
>  member I would have liked to be informed of much more about the goings on
>  involving the commissioning of AO-40 than I was. The warm and fuzzy feeling
>  that this type of communication on the part of AMSAT would have produced
>  would have made it a lot easier for them to access my checkbook  for the
>  next project. As an outsider looking in on this great experiment a
>  blow-by-blow of the progress being done by the ground crew and it's effect
>  on AO-40 would have drawn me into the project and made my ultimate
>  membership and donation to AMSAT a much greater possibility. When it seemed
>  like things were starting to go south with AO-40 giving me the feeling that
>  I was looking over the shoulder of the ground control crew would have
>  allowed me a level of participation that if there was sunshine at the end
>  of the tunnel my checkbook would have overflowed for the next project and
>  if there was an unhappy ending than damnit we were all in that control room
>  together and lets cough up the money to make the next one work!

<snip>