Re: RS-12/13 Testimonial

Yes, Bob, you have discovered one of the best kept secrets in amateur sats today.  It is a phenominal signal--very clear and easy to copy all the way to the horizon.  It is as loud and clear as SUNSAT, and that is saying a lot.  Unfortunately, few people show up for the show.  Last night I was lucky to get into a 5-way roundtable with KE4AZN, AC3A, KK5DO, and KD8UJ.

For those wanting to work the bird, the Doppler is pretty manageable, even with just a "split" rig.  I run a FT-100 without hearing my downlink.  The passband is slightly off-center by a couple of kHz, but you could use these as fair "guesstimates" for trying the bird...

High elevation pass (greater than 35 degrees at TCA):
 -  your uplink at 21.280 MHz
 -  downlink AOS at 145.888 MHz
 -  downlink TCA at 145.883 MHz
 -  downlink LOS at 145.878 MHz

Low elevation pass (less than 30 degrees at TCA):
 -  your uplink at 21.280 MHz
 -  downlink AOS at 145.886 MHz
 -  downlink TCA at 145.883 MHz
 -  downlink LOS at 145.880 MHz

You can interpolate and add/subtract linearly from the above table to get you in the ballpark from any uplink frequency.  I hope to hear more ops on this fine LEO.
73,
Jerry, K5OE

<bruninga@usna.edu> writes:

<< Left an FM rig on 145.900 SUNSAT uplink and heard noises at my desk
about 0930 EST sounding like SSB/CW. Very surprising since it is on a
simple vertical through 150 feet of COAX!  Moved coax to all mode rig and
heard lots of stations.

Checked Keps and it was RS-12/13 during a 50 degree pass.

Wow, what a signal.  Glad to see some hams enjoying the analog birds.

de WB4APR, Bob