Re: An Open Letter To AMSAT

Richard and Friends.

I think this information age in which we live has spoiled us all into
believing that we should somehow have a serial port connected to our bodies
so that there is a constant flow of information! MSNBC and Fox News may be
able to turn a boring story into a 24 hour a day news "event", but not so in
the hobby world of ham radio. I suppose we could ask Warren Christopher or
James Baker to "handle" the event but watch out for the lawyers! :-)

There has been *no lack* of information. All of the pertinent details have
been relayed in no less than three AMSAT bulletins, a Newsline report, two
W1AW bulletins, and three emails from Peter Guelzow, DB2OS to this list. We
have received *all* the information that they know right now. Anything else
would be speculation--and there has been *no* lack of pure speculation
(mixed with a large dose of finger pointing) on this board.

Do you want to know what the ground controllers are having for lunch today?

P3D has been launched. It was moved to a higher (60,000km apogee) orbit than
planned by a propulsion system problem. 24 hours later the telemetry beacon
shutdown. It is possible that one or both of the IHU's crashed. There is an
auto-reboot process that could take place anytime during the next 7-10 days;
if it does not, ground controllers could upload a command to do a hard
restart BUT they'd prefer to wait a few days before doing that.

That is all the information that there is ... oh yeah, Guelzow had an egg
salad sandwich for lunch today. Feel better?

73 de Jeff, N9AVG
AMSAT #28350