Re: AO-40

on 12/18/00 12:13 AM, Don Crago at don@dove.net.au wrote:

> Could it be possible as the motor burn was 3 mins longer that required that
> the bird is now in an unknown orbit. I understand that telemetry was
> received during and after the burn, but is it possible that AO-40 is well
> and we are listening at the wrong times.

This was suggested as a possibility in some conversations in the Amsat IRC
channel on Saturday, but I don't think it makes the most sense for a variety
of reasons.  We do know that the bird was functioning after the burn.
Command stations were tracking it and sending commands to it, etc.
Apparently, after sending a command, the bird sent some bad or odd telemetry
then quit transmitting.  Now if the control crew's antenna were on the bird
and signals were peaked, then the bird can't just suddenly change orbit and
be on the other side of the earth.

So knowing what we know of what happened after the burn, this seems
unlikely.  OTOH, if the burn too place and then we couldn't find the bird
after the burn, we hace a possibility, but that is not what happened.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden