Re: Has this question been asked or considered?

on 12/17/00 10:25 PM, Lonnie (NT6B) at nt6b-vk7lm@DREAMSOFT.COM wrote:

> Without jumping to conclusions, my former occupation leads me to ask the
> simple question about Insurance coverage.  Did Amsat purchase insurance
> coverage for AO-40 or P3D?....Maybe someone out there knows the
> answer.   It would be nice to know that some recovery may be on the horizon
> but prefer to hear AO-40's Telemetry instead.

I don't think so.  I think it was too costly.

I thought I read somewhere that one philosophy about building spacecraft w/o
insurance was to build a spare spaceframe making essentially 2 satellites.
This way, you'd have a nearly complete and paid for second bird ready to go
should something happen to the first.  I know not if this was followed by
Amsat, but who knows.

73,

Jon
NA9D