Re: AO-40 launched with "known problems" ??

Kevin Muenzler WB5RUE wrote:

> But you'd think that something like this would have not been sent
> up with known problems.  Especially something like a fuel control
> valve that failed during testing.  I guess enough bending and
> hammering got it to work for the test.  They called it "nominal"
> which I guess was enough for the "stock holders" (YOU AND ME.)
>
> http://www.amsat.org/amsat/news/ans2000/ans00348.html

Kevin, I'm confused.  I looked at the URL you provided, and THIS is
what caught my eye:

  "We experienced a similar problem during the test phase of
   P3D, and one of the helium valves was repaired as a
   consequence."

In case it isn't clear to you why this caught my eye, let me repeat
a part of that quote with a little emphasis:

   "...and one of the helium valves WAS REPAIRED"

The bird was tested.  A part failed.  It was repaired.  And you
consider that "...sending it up with a known problem..." ??????

A lot of parts failed during testing.  AFIK, all the known problems
were fixed before launch.  What evidence do you have that the bird
was launched with any "known problems"?

Or are you taking the position that because a part failed, such a part
must never be used again, or that the flight should never occur?
That's kind of like saying that rubber automobile tires are known to
occasionally fail, and failure sometimes leads to serious injury or
death of the driver or passengers.  Therefore all automobile
manufacturers must immediately stop building cars that depend on the
defective technology of pneumatic rubber tires.   Seeeshh!!!!!!

Nomex underwear donned.
Environmental biohazard suit donned.
Asbestos lining donned.
Tyvek bulletproof body armor donned.
Fire control team outer flame suit donned.
Phasers on maximum.
Shields at 100%
Go ahead, make my day!

Signed,