Re: P3D/AO40 Contingency Plan

>From: "David M. Tipton, PhD" <tiptond@psi.com>
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: [amsat-bb] P3D/AO40 Contingency Plan
>Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:47:05 -0600
>
>God forbid, but if AO-40 does not come back to life, are we to believe that
>it will take another 10 years to put another satellite up that would have
>the High Orbit characteristics?  It seems that unless you're a LEO junky
>(Like myself), most people would be swayed from getting into this aspect of
>the hobby.
>
>Please, no flames, just wondering.
>
>Dave, N8KXA

Howdy Dave.  Well if AO-40 doesnt come back (andone hopes it does...I
certianly have the radios for it ready to go...grin) the issue will turn to
what is next.

I guess that my comments (and I've posted some elsewhere) would be that
instead of "large" do everything sats for the high orbits we should
concentrate on small "lite" sats with fairly defined and tight goals and
have more of them.

If AO-40 is toast it would be interesting I think to compare it to HST.  In
the end what saved HST was the enormously deep pockets of the federal
government.  BUT for what it takes just to operate HST the nation could
every year have lots of IUE class telescopes in geo synch orbit or enormous
ground based resources.

Having done and participated in a fair number of "complicated" projects it
sort of seems that a long time ago this one got to complicated for the
resources available to it AND begin to suck up to many resources.

I guess in the end I really dont think to much of the every hams
satellite...ie one that is a turn the radio on, know little or nothing about
tracking or whathave you (I mean how complicated is tracking programs these
days.?  I remember OSCAR LOCATORS) and have to be workable with little
antennas.

I confess I was mentally planning the microwave satellite installationon the
pickup...but in the end I dont know that the capabilities justify the cost
to the bird.

Oh well here is hoping that the bird turns on and all of this is useless
musing...

Robert G. Oler WB5MZO...(Laura Jolley is my fiance)