Re: AO-40

>From: denmorr@bellsouth.net
>To: <wb5rue@arrl.net>, "'amsat-bb'" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AO-40
>Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:28:31 -0500
>
>Kevin:
>
>I had some doubts about the Phase 3D idea.  However, it was AMSAT's
>decision
>to go this way and we should all be 100% behind the project.  No hardware
>is
>ever 100% foolproof.  Just ask the auto manufacturers.  And the team is far
>from failure at this point.  You should be sking the team what you can do
>help instead of second guessing them. I'm not surprised at your comments -
>you seem to have a sour outlook in general.

Your right of course in that the project is far from failure...but I think
that your other comments are a bit harsh.

First off I dont think that its necessary to be "100%" behind AMSAT or any
group at any one time particularly when its a "membership" organization.
Now is no time to start pointing fingers (indeed there never is the time to
do that) BUT if the situation does not change then future projects should be
measured in terms of what this one promised, this one took, and this one
did.

Its pretty clear that the pockets for a hamsat are well not that all deep
nor is the talent in terms of "backups" all that deep.  Yet an aweful lot
was attempted on this satellite and it strikes me that a lot more "eggs"
could have been incubated if satellites of smaller sizes and capabilities
were built.

In the end I think that while the quest for a large "easy sat" is an
admirable one the question I asked is "is it necessary".  A "working" OScar
10 would be "great"...two or three would be better, perhaps with different
transponders.

OK you couldnt recieve it with little bitty helixes...but then even in areas
where antennas were "impossible" part of the joy of this hobby has been
making them happen.

In the end the toughest thing to do from a project standpoint is to fit the
project with the resources available...and if there is no AO-40 it seems
clear that the answer is that this project was a bridge to far.

If we dont learn from that then we are well not wise.

Robert G. Oler WB5MZO  (Laura Jolley is my fiance).