Re: Re: Ao40...copied ?CAN`T BELIEVE THAT....

OK everyone, let's get a REALITY check here!  Stop spreading what you think
might be going on with AO-40.  This does NOTHING to help.

Here is what we DO know:

1.) Telemetry HAS been copied AFTER the burn and AFTER the engines valves
closed.  So the spacecraft did NOT blow up from the burn or the likelyhood
of such is tiny.

2.) People DID copy a weak, unmodulated carrier today on the AO-40 2m beacon
frequency or thereabout.

3.) The spacecraft is now at a perigee of about 60,000 KM.  Signals will be
VERY, VERY weak, particularly with the omni antennas activated.

4.) The orientation of the spacecraft is likely such that the omni antennas
are pointing AWAY from earth at apogee.  This can be drawn as a conclusion
from the fact that the control team wants to study and test the high gain
antenna particularly, the 70 cm high gain TX system.  This would mean that
the omnis are pointed AWAY from the earth.

Couple #'s 3 and 4 and you can see why most people likely don't hear any
telemetry from the bird.  Some people ARE hearing a weak carrier with good
AO-10 class stations.

What likely happened is IHU-2 crashed again and the control crew has either
not reset it yet or has been busy doing other things with the spacecraft
before resetting it.  Additionally, the attitude of the spacecraft may be
that it needs to go a couple of orbits before it will be in a position
whereby they can reasonably command it given the likely orientation of its
antennas.

PLEASE...let's stop, take a DEEP breath and not throw wild speculations out
there about what's going on.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 12/13/00 11:18 PM, Jens Spiess at jspiess@dplanet.ch wrote:

>> I can NOT BELIEVE THAT,but the telemetry from
>> orbit #54,DEC.13th tells me:
>> We,probability,lost Ao40 by a big explosion after problems
>> of the 400 N-engine-unit....
>> I was >>LIVE<< to observed orbit #54,DEC.13th...until UTC 11:16 h,
>> than  get a break of signals....5/9 down to NOTHING.
>> I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT YET....but I think..."HE" is DEAD....
>> DEMAGED AND DEAD....
>> This morning here....NO SIGNALS,NO AOS...NOTHING AGAIN.
>>
>> HOPEFUL,WE WILL GET ANOTHER REALITY NEXT DAYS FROM
>> ONE OF THE COMMAND-STATIONS....or AMSAT.
>> I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT...AGAIN and AGAIN.....
>> But I think,yesterday was the next of our black-amsat-day.....
>> HOPEFUL...IT IS NOT THE REALITY.....BUT REALITY IS REALITY...
>>
>> Silence about that around the world....
>> Silence from everybody......
>> No comments....
>> Silence.....