Re: RE: Experiment with AMSAT

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Eric Archer wrote:

> NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)  is planning to perform
> propagation tests on model Mars rovers....specifically 401/437 MHz, for
> communications with Mars orbiters.  This makes amateur pacsats ideal
> for use as satellites of opportunity to test some candidate rover
> antennas in an operational  environment similar to what would be
> expected at Mars.

Sounds like exactly the experiments we have been conducting daily for the
last 12 months via UO22 and SO35 using a 3/4 wave vertical mobile whip
antenna which has a maximum lobe of almost 8 dBi above 25 degrees.. from
the roof of a car...

Send them to my http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

Look at the antenna stuff near the end.