RE: Experiment with AMSAT

Hello fellow pacsat operators:

Just a little more information regarding Layla's Mars Rover tests.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)  is planning to perform
propagation tests on model Mars rovers. These tests would like to
validate some propagations models, expecially in the area of
multipath effects due to the use of low gain antennas on platforms
close to the ground and other RF obstacles. As you may know, Mars
rovers are planning to use UHF, specifically 401/437 MHz, for
communications with Mars orbiters.  This makes amateur pacsats ideal
for use as satellites of opportunity to test some candidate rover
antennas in an operational  environment similar to what would be
expected at Mars. Satellites with constant envelope modulation or
residual carrier  and minimum or slow tumbling with nearly  isotropic
radiation patterns are ideal.

Specifically, Layla is looking for two things:

1) Looking for hams that are currently or have recently used the
pacsats. She is looking to find out  the operational status of the
satellites listed below and also their characteristics from the
operational side. I personally have not operated the pacsats in a
number of years, so my operational knowledge is lacking.  I think
mainly she wants to find out which are the more active satellites.

2) Information regarding EIRP, antenna patterns, tumbling rates,
modulating waveform, etc so that she may correlate the tests with
some known satellite performance characteristics. This would most
likely come directly from the satellite operators/designers
themselves. This information may or may not have been published in
back issues of QST and QEX and other symposia digests. If at all
possible,  satellite designers may let Layla know where this type of
information may exist.

Any help in this exciting area would be appreciated. I'm sure that
any  professional papers published  will reference material from
amateur sources.  Also, special thanks to Pesa (IK0HIT) for
forwarding this message to me. See you all on AO-40 when it becomes
operational (maybe even another mini DX-pedition from T7 land!)

Best regards and 73's

Eric Archer
N6CV
Trustee-W6JPL