Re: JavaScript Axial-Mode Helix Calculator

I am not an expert at this, but in my experience the theory matches with
reality fairly well.

Feeding at the center "a traditional helix" produces a 140 Ohm feed.

Simply perhiperally feeding the helix lowers the impedance somewhat--
maybe 100 Ohms.  Especially if there is almost no pitch to the first 1/4
turn (1/4 wl)

Adding a brass strip, like the G3RUH antennas (ftp.amsat.com site)
"fattening up" the 1/4 wave impedance transformer gets you to about 50 Ohms
with tweaking.

I imagine that on 2400 MHz receive, the SWR will not make too much of
a problem with gain, but I have read from Ed Krome, K9EK that
the pattern suffers if there isn't a match.  Again, I don't think
that will be too much of a problem on AO-40.  Maybe Ed can comment again.

One web site I saw states that a ham had success leaving the first 1/4
turn at the same pitch, but then he had a tunable brass strip protruding
from the reflector, and a brass screw tapped for adjusting the spacing
between the brass strips, and the one on the first 1/4 turn.  He then
adjusted for maximum signal.  Alternatively, after you've formed the helix--
don't mount it permanently to the support structure-- push in on the first
1/4 turn with the brass strip until you get maximum signal (or best SWR if
you could measure).  I think this would work as well.  On receive, max
signal is max signal.

On the 1270 MHz transmit side, I plan on using a directional coupler
I have and a Boonton RF Millivoltmeter (w/50 Ohm adapter) to tune the helix.
  A diode detector and a homemade directional coupler could be made fairly
easily.  Tune for minimum reflection, and you've got it.

Fred W0FMS