Re: Link Analysis criteria

Several people on this list have requested transponder characteristics on
several occasions. We were assured by the AO-40 team this was done prior to
launch and would be released at a later time. At the moment, my guess is
that these guys are giving their full attention to getting the sat into it's
proper orbit and verifying everything works. My guess is also that one of
the tools for verification will be to test the actual transponder
characteristics against the pre-launch measurements. I have no reason to
believe the information required to calculate a link budget will not be
forthcoming, we just need some patience.

As you stated, the information published to date is the RESULTS of someone
else's link budgets for a specific set of circumstances using undefined or
assumed transponder characteristics. While these are good enough to get a
feel for the transponder characteristics, it is not sufficient to properly
engineer a link solution for modes or equipment other than those defined.
Everyone involved with the program is very dedicated and I'm sure they will
make this information available as soon as they can.

Howie
AB2S