Re: Lightning hits

on 12/11/00 9:39 PM, John Harrington at johnh@ih2000.net wrote:

> By the way, I don't recommend hooking your station ground to the utility
> neutral wire, for safety reasons.  If the utility neutral connection breaks or
> corrodes you may be providing the return wire for your stove and refrigerator
> through your radio equipment grounding system.  The utility neutral should be
> grounded at only one spot- at the service entrance

This is the whole reason though why you are to have your radio grounds
connected to the electrical ground.  I agree with you that to depend on the
electrical ground for RF is silly.  The tower should definitely be grounded
as you say.  However, if the tower is grounded, having a 600 Ohm line
hanging going to the safety ground won't matter.  You effectively are adding
a 600 Ohm resistor to ground in parallel with the ground connection of your
tower.  The important thing is making sure the tower is WELL grounded and in
good, conductive soil.  If it isn't you are screwed.

Your statement about not connecting radio equipment to the utility neutral
is troublesome.  Our radio equipment is by necessity connected through this
neutral just by virtue of the fact that we have power supplies that plug
into the AC mains service.  Perhaps I did not read it clearly, so let me ask
a clarification: When you say attaching ground to the utility neutral, do
you mean the green ground line or the white line?  If you mean the white
wire, I whole-heartedly agree.  However, I think that there is still some
connection internal to our own equipment where there is ultimately a path of
some sort between the neutral and earth ground.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden