Re: Lightning hits

on 12/11/00 5:38 PM, K5OE@aol.com at K5OE@aol.com wrote:

> The NEC also stipulates the antenna must be grounded at the nearest accessible
> location.  If that location is not the building power service safety ground,
> then a bonding jumper is required between the antenna and the safety ground.
>
> All that said, a far more practical (and most likely safer) method is to
> ground the tower immediately at the base with a triad of rods, interconnected
> with large bonding jumpers.  Running a long lead to the house's ground is not
> something I would recommend.

So which is it, Jerry?  The code states that you must jumper between the
antenna and safety ground.  Yet you say to skip running a long lead to the
house.  So which is it?

The whole reason behind connecting all the grounds is that "ground" is not
necessarily "ground" and that you can have different potentials at different
points.  Tying them all together eliminates that.

A long lead between tower and the power company ground *should* not cause
any problems, IMHO, IF your tower is well grounded.

1.) Lighting will take the shortest path to earth possible
2.) A long piece of wire will tend to be inductive.  To a DC impulse and
inductor looks like an open circuit.

Therefore, if your tower is very well grounded, the long line to the power
company ground should not even be seen by lighting.

Now I'll admit I am not an expert on this, and Jerry, you seem much more
knowledgeable so perhaps I did not understand what you were saying.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden